At Ethos Church, we believe that every person in our family is a missionary. By “every person,” what we mean is, well, every person. That’s right… you, me, your house church leader, the business executive, the graphic designer, the contractor, and the stay at home mom… all of us are missionaries in our church family. A missionary is simply someone who is sent into the world to display and proclaim the Good News of Jesus’ Love. In Acts 19:26, the Bible tells us that God has laid out and determined the places we live so that people would seek him and turn to him. It’s no accident that you live where you live, work where you work, spend time where you spend time…you have been placed there by God, and God longs to use you to display and share the love of Jesus with your friends, family, co-workers, and classmates.
This summer, we, as your church family, want to empower you to take a next step towards being a missionary in the places you live, play, and work. To do this, we want to fund your ideas to proclaim and display the love of Jesus in your neighborhood, where you work, at the gym, in your favorite local park, or wherever the Spirit may be leading you. We want to do this through what we’re calling “Serve Your City Grants.”
Ideas for Being a Missionary
Proclaiming & displaying the love of Jesus is not as complicated as it sounds. Here are just a few ideas of ways that you could utilize a Serve Your City Grant:
- Host a cleanup party at your local neighborhood park. Invite your friends & neighbors, then provide food and drink to honor those who help. Use grant money to buy the cleanup supplies and food items.
- Host a block party to get to know your neighbors more — you invite your friends and plan the event, let the Ethos Church grant money foot the grocery bill.
- Take a group of your co-workers out to lunch in order to go deeper in relationship with them. Grant money could pick up the tab.
- Host a fun day for neighborhood kids to serve them and their families. Utilize grant money to buy slip & slides, water balloons, popsicles, hot dogs, and drinks.
- Invite some friends who don’t know Jesus into a book study for a month to foster deeper dialogue around spiritual matters. Use grant money to buy the books and the coffee you’d like to serve.
These are just a few ideas. Ask God to lead you and get creative about engaging those you do life with. And don’t do it alone. Team up with folks from your house church or with some good friends to go on mission together. Pray together that God will open the hearts of those around you to the love of Jesus.
Here’s how it works:
- Use the Grant Application (below) to submit to us an idea of how you’d like to display or proclaim the love of Jesus and how much money you think you’ll need to make it happen. The deadline for applications will be July 2, 2017.
- The Ethos Church staff will review each application and those that are approved will be given the approved amount of money so that they can carry out their event.
- Once you’ve received your money, you’ll be responsible for carrying out your event and submitting the receipts for your final costs.
It’s that easy. You Dream It. You Plan It. We’ll Fund It.
Throughout the summer we hope to collect photos and stories of how the events go so that at the end of the summer we can celebrate what God has done through us to put the love of Jesus on display in our city.
You Were Made For This
Ephesians 2:10 tells us that “we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Imagine the difference our church could make in our city, if each of us, alongside our friends and family, partnered with God in proclaiming and displaying the love of Jesus!